Why not FP for Money?

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 19:29:02 EDT 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:09:05 +0200, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You're probably right, but it will be nice to be able to point the
> querants to module decimal.  Backwards incompatible changes, such as
> taking a literal of 1.1 to mean a decimal rather than a float, are not
> in the cards until Python 3.0 time -- meanwhile we need to collect the
> needed in-the-field experience to support the incompatible changes we'll
> want, such as the meaning of such literals.

I agree to a certain extent, specially if we're talking about having
decimals as the standard floating point numbers. But a notation like
"1.1d" (which is clearly different from "1.1") is probably achievable
in a much shorter timeframe -- Python 2.5 (I don't think 3.0 will come
immediately after 2.4, or even 2.5 for this respect -- there are many
things being developed now that need more maturation time, as its the
case with Decimals, and even some of the new generator features).

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com