up with PyGUI!

Joe Laughlin Joseph.V.Laughlin at boeing.com
Thu Sep 16 14:16:08 EDT 2004

Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> I'm a fan of Greg Ewing's PyGUI [1].  I used it to code a
> simple game for my son [2], and enjoyed it.  Programming
> with wxPython feels like programming with a C++ tool that
> has been wrapped in Python. Programming with PyGUI feels
> like programming with a real Python tool.
>
> If you're developing a commercial application in Python,
> wxPython is currently the only option that offers native
> widgets on w32.  It would be a boost for Python if PyGUI
> got a native w32 backend.
>
> Therefore, I offer the following suggestions:
>
> Python programmers: use PyGUI!  It's nice.  Contribute
> bug reports and so forth.
>
> Python developers: Is it too early to include PyGUI in
> the standard library?  It seems stable to me.
>
> PSF: If anyone applies for a grant [3] to put a proper
> w32 backend into PyGUI, please give them money.  I would
> offer to do that job myself, but (a) I'm not w32 expert
> and (b) I'm busy trying to make one of those
> aforementioned commercial apps.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zooko, Journeyman Hacker
>
> [1] http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python_gui/
> [2] http://zooko.com/log-2004.html#d2004-06-23
> [3] http://python.org/psf/call-2004.html

I tried to build PyGui and I got..

% python setup.py build
<snip>
copying GUI/Gtk/Geometry.py -> build/lib/GUI/Gtk
copying GUI/Gtk/ScrollBars.py -> build/lib/GUI/Gtk
package init file 'GUI/Generic/__init__.py' not found (or not a regular
file)
package init file 'GUI/Mac/__init__.py' not found (or not a regular file)
package init file 'GUI/Gtk/__init__.py' not found (or not a regular file)

And sure enough, those files don't exist.  Ideas?