cost of creating threads

Ajay abra9823 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Thu Sep 30 02:59:36 EDT 2004

hi!

i have an application that runs on a pocket pc. the application has a
server which responds to UDP requests. each request contains the address
of another server (say, server_b). the pocket pc server recieves these UDP
requests and creates an SSL client connection to sercer_b

my current setup is iterative and i am thinking of making it into a
threaded application.since i have a gui, the pocket pc server already runs
in a separate thread. my question is, in terms of memory and processing
power, how much overhead will creating threads cost. My sessions are quite
short lived. if this was a pc application, i'd go ahead with a threads. But
since this is a pocket pc (the processor is a XScale 400 MHz but really all
said and done we only ever have around 200 MHz or so - memory available
would be optimistically speaking, around 12 MB)

any thoughts on what threads would cost me?

thanks

cheers