Python Webstart ?

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Mon Sep 20 11:17:42 EDT 2004

huy wrote:
> Most of my users don't know as much as you do. What's an rpm ? what's
> a programming language ? The users I know only know how to surf the
> web.

That is exactly what I am stating.  On Windows, they are used to
installing stuff using setup.exe and on Linux using the vendor
packaging tool.  Same for removing programs (Add/Remove Programs
and whatever the vendor tool is respectively).

> I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you against webstart
> or not ? Can't get easier then clicking on a link to install a
> program.

I am against the current implementations of webstart.  They introduce
a parallel packaging system that isn't the same as the one already
on the user's OS.

Roger