Comparioson of purpose for PyGUI and AnyGUI ???

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 21:59:39 EDT 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:18:39 -0300, John Lenton <john at grulic.org.ar> wrote:
> we chose gtk2 instead of wx because gtk2 feels much more pythonic (to
> us, at least). I'd be interested in knowing what you thought of for
> the server side of the dhtml; we had thought about using twisted,
> because its event-driven approach fits in very nicely with gui
> programming.

I've checked several web application environments. Just to mention a
few: Twisted, Quixote, Webware, Zope, and CherryPy. Zope is in a class
of it's own, as it's Twisted (for different reasons). For my
particular needs, I've chosen the simplest of all -- CherryPy. The
reason was the inclusion of a usable internal HTTP server option. It
eases testing, and makes possible to deploy applications almost
anywhere -- for example, any reasonably powered Windows workstation
can be a server with a surprisingly good performance. The reasoning
goes this way: for each business application where performance is a
problem, once can count a dozen of others that will have a handful of
simultaneous users, and in this scenario the hassle of running
Apache+Zope/Webware is just not worth it. Quixote was a close second:
it has a clean design, it's light, but the internal server is not as
convenient as CherryPy's one. Twisted is just too much for me: it's a
jack of all trades and a master of none, or at least that was the
impression that a reading of the documentation and other readers
experience suggested me.

p.s. CherryPy2 is still alpha, but the design rocks, in my opinion.
It's as light and pythonic as it can be.

p.s. Thanks for the pointer to Cimarron. I'll check it tonight.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com