Emacs + python

Marcio Rosa da Silva mrsilva at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 23 12:15:10 EDT 2004

Chris Green wrote:
> The trick that I like most about emacs+python right now is inserting
> import pdb; pdb.set_trace() and then running the python script from a
> *shell* buffer. It just happens to load the exact same code that would
> occur from running pdb.py directly so code lines can be synced up.

I am trying for a long time a way to run pdb from emacs and have the
code synchronized.

I searched google for emacs+python+debug or emacs+pdb but the
instructions would say: "M-x pdb" but then emacs asked the command line
to run the debug and I tried "pdb" "pydb" "pydb filename" but nothing
worked.

When I tryed "M-x pdb" then "pydb" I need to use "file <filename>" (and
the completion doesn't work here for the filename), then the debugger
worked, but no sync with the source code :-(

 From the help of GUD, I tried "M-x pdb <RET> FILE <RET>" also without
success.

Anyone can help me with this? I really don't know how to make it work. I
have seen in the python-emacs-mode that there are some code to
synchronize the code, but I could not make it work in this way (I don't
know enough elisp) :-(

But anyway, thanks Chris for the tip. This one worked for me :-) It is
possible to set breakpoints using the source buffer instead of using the
line number?

Marcio