Psycopg; How to detect row locking?

Alban Hertroys alban at magproductions.nl
Mon Sep 27 07:40:31 EDT 2004

Good day,

I have a number of threads doing inserts in a table, after which I want
to do a select. This means that it will occur that the row that I want
to select is locked (by the DB). In these cases, I believe I receive an
OperationalError (or is it an InterfaceError?).

Is it possible (and if so - how?) to verify that the exception occured
because of row locking, so that I can wait and try again?

Or are there better ways to achieve this? I'm not too charmed about
polling loops that may never end.

I'm using python 2.3 with psycopg 1.1.13 and PostgreSQL 7.4.2.

Regards, Alban Hertroys.