need an idea, recognize sequence, fsm or genetic ?

Mike Maxwell maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu
Thu Sep 2 08:30:51 EDT 2004

Joh wrote:
> here is my trouble, i would to like to write a program which could
> help me to detect sequence of consecutive words in list in a very
> efficient way.

These repeats are called "tandem arrays."  Algorithms for quickly
finding them (and many other useful patterns) are given in

	Gusfield, Dan.  1997.  Algorithms on strings,
	trees and sequences.  Cambridge: Cambridge
	University Press.

Gusfield has a web site
	http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~gusfield/
with downloadable software.  I don't recall whether his web site talks
about tandem arrays, but I'm sure you could google the term...

	Mike Maxwell