Running scripts without installing Python?

hepp ovesvenssons at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 16 15:14:22 EDT 2004

Is it possible to run a Python script in Windows without installing
Python on your machine first?

At my work we are using a mixed environment - some have Solaris
workstations and others PC's. I have written an application in
wxPython that runs in both Unix and Solaris. For the Unix version I
put an installation of Python on a network drive that everybody can
access, but in Windows everybody has to download Python and wxPython
before they can run the application.

Is it possible to put a global installation on a network drive in
Windows as well? I tried, but then it complained that it couldn't find
some dll files when I ran the application from another computer.

I have also tried to compile the application to an executable binary
with py2exe, but it didn't work properly.