Shorter checksum than MD5

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 11:20:52 EDT 2004

[Elbert Lev]
> Very good. But I beleive, he [Paul Rubin] did not mentioned a "hostile
> environment".

You quoted this qualification from Paul, which I quoted too:

>> Also, with CRC32, it's very easy to create a record on purpose that has any
>> given checksum.  Is THAT a problem?  ...

I suppose that's not a hostile environment if you believe that when
someone deliberately tries to fool your checksum, they're trying to
express love.  I don't personally believe that.  Well, not in general.
 Some people express their emotions in peculiar ways.  But I assume
too that Paul wasn't really talking about abnormal psychology, in
which case his point here was quite clear.

then-again-perhaps-love-&-hostility-are-the-same-thing<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim