Call for suggestions: Declaring data entry forms using Python classes

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 10:19:48 EDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:30:33 GMT, Paul Paterson
<paulpaterson at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> By a strange coincidence, this intermediate representation is eerily
> similar to the one used in vb2py when converting Visual Basic forms to
> Python ones (implemented in PythonCard).

I don't think it is a coincidence; I think that's because this is the
natural way to represent this structure in Python. If you look at the
way Delphi forms are stored when you choose text format (the default
for newer versions), it's strikingly similar -- just change "class"
for "object". I assume VB internals are structured in the same way.

> The intermediate representation looks like,
>
> [...long sample...]

I think that my current code can be easily adapted for your needs. I'm
now working on a generic renderer interface. I'm figuring out how to
make it general enough  but still simple to sue. The current
implementation is already able to walk the class attributes in the
order of the original declaration, which is important to preserve some
behavior (specially the implicit tab ordering that is normally used in
GUI design).

As for your last question: yes, it's open source, I just haven't yet
figured out which license to choose from -- either BSD or LGPL, I
think. Part of the problem is that I don't have a nice host to put it
for download yet. I this point BSD would be nice -- it's too little
code to make a fusss about it being used inside some other product --
but if the library gets bigger I tend to go towards LGPL.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com