finding time when url was modified

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Mon Sep 27 23:41:43 EDT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:57:45 +1000, Ajay wrote:
> thanks
> it was mostly out of curiousity. I have an interchange where the servers
> would send a policy and request a resource. the other server would
> evaluate the policy and respond accordingly.

I would recommend going a little more deeply into the HTTP standards, and
then examining what the capabilities of your servers are. I have no
experience with mobile devices.

In particular, take a look at the E-Tags field; if you have support for
it, that will pretty much do exactly what you want with nearly no work on
your part if I am reading your requirements correctly; all you have to do
is catch the HTTP result code and do the right thing with it.

A shocking number of people re-implement large chunks of HTTP in the HTML,
which is painful and often ineffective. HTTP is pretty cool, if you use it
to the full and not just as a glorified file, ignoring the headers.