"False exceptions?" (was Re: theme of the week: tools

Dan Perl danperl at rogers.com
Tue Sep 28 09:02:07 EDT 2004

"Marco Aschwanden" <PPNTWIMBXFFC at spammotel.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.3996.1096354841.5135.python-list at python.org...
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:04:47 -0400, Dan Perl <danperl at rogers.com> wrote:
>
> I myself felt disturbed by your comments on WingIDE. But yes, I do
> understand your nagging on "false exceptions" which can be turned off. You
> turned it down because of this and because the short trial period (which
> can be prolonged with 1 button click)... well, it didn't seem fair towards
> the tool. It has its shortcomings but the ones you mention are ridiculous.

The 10 day trial period just gave me a bad first impression and the
explanations for the false positives just left me with a bad taste.  I gave
up on Wing because of the false positives (their simple existence, even
without the explanations) and the lack of a class browser.  I encountered
the false positives first and I almost gave up right there.  But it was just
the first day and I thought I should look more.  Like you say, I wanted to
be fair.  When I found that the class browser is not supported in the
Personal edition I threw my arms in the air.

To be fair again to Wing, I gave up on it based on the false positives
before finding out that I could have switched to another debug mode.  But
that's their fault too because the widget that came up with the false
positive just says you can ignore the exception and then there was something
else just praising the tool, but there was no mention of the different debug
modes.  I found that option only once I searched the manual.  Maybe it's
just me, but I'm not reading the manuals when I'm trying out several tools.

My "nagging" on the false positives is mostly on the spin that Wingware puts
in their explanations.  It's one thing to explain it the way that Stephan
did, that it was better to offer something imperfect if that was also
providing some important advantages and then also offer the other
alternative ("We weighed having a necessarily imperfect but useful feature
with not having the feature at all.").  And it's another thing to insist
that this is not a problem and it is actually good for you.  This doesn't
seem to bother other people as much as it bothered me, but I do have a beef
with it.

I'm curious to know what disturbed you in my comments.

> It beats Komodo 3.01 in some aspect:
> - it shines when it comes to auto-completion. No need to feed some
> "intelligent database" for each and every file you introduce like in
> Komodo (first crash while building the database).
> - in my case it works seamlessly with wxPython. Komodo crashed constantly.
> Auto-completion with wxPython did never work (tried on 2 machines)
> - WingIDE is much more robust although beta than Komodo, which crashed
> about 5 times during 3h of work (Win2K; about 20 times because of wxPython
> are not taken into account). WingIDE does not crash since around patch 3
> (we are now at patch 8).
>

> So I would say:
>
> Use Komodo if you:
> - are programming as well in other languages that Komodo supports (PHP,
> Perl, Python, HTML, ...)
> - need built-in cvs access
> - can live with an IDE that crashes from time to time
>
> Use Wingware if you:
> - need a good "intelligent" auto-completion even for wxPython, pyQt, ...
> - need an extensible IDE (you may in future add your own tools easily)
> - need an IDE that focusses on Python and that tries to do the best on
> this single language
> - can live with an IDE that does not look as polished as Komodo
>
> This comparison is not perfect. But you may realize that I turned it down
> for it constantly crashing on me (which might be a problem of me and my 2
> machines) and the useless auto-completion (constantly feeding the
> database; does not work with wxPython). Those 2 points were in my case the
> show stopper. Sad, because the idea behind Komodo is just great, the looks
> is fantastic... I will give it another chance with 4.0...

I used Komodo for about a month and it never crashed.  As a matter of fact,
when the license expired, I let it run for several days and then I just had
to reboot my machine for other reasons (I am using Win XP, BTW).  And I have
used it with wxPython already, although probably not as extensively as you
have.

I actually prefer the auto-completion in Komodo.  Yes, it doesn't always
work because sometimes it has to learn first, but on the other hand I felt
that Wing tries to do too much.  I don't need auto-completion for every
little name that I'm using and Wing's auto-completion was rather annoying me
even after I adjusted the pause period.  I didn't find any option to disable
auto-completion selectively for things like locals.  I also didn't see a
function usage showing up in Wing the way I am getting it in Komodo (and I
want that), but maybe that was a preference that I had to turn on and I
didn't know about it.  I later saw something similar in a screen shot but
maybe that's also not in Wing's Personal edition.

So your 2 show stoppers do not apply for me.  As for your other arguments, I
am using Komodo only for Python and not for any other languages and I am
using winCvs for CVS access.  Still, during one month of use (more than a
month now), Komodo satisfied all my needs.