Xah Lee's Unixism

Morten Reistad firstname at lastname.pr1v.n0
Mon Sep 6 12:56:33 EDT 2004

In article <413c5b9c$0$19705$61fed72c at news.rcn.com>,
 <jmfbahciv at aol.com> wrote:
>In article <rv1hhc.mtv2.ln at via.reistad.priv.no>,
>   Morten Reistad <firstname at lastname.pr1v.n0> wrote:
>>In article <413af268$0$19706$61fed72c at news.rcn.com>,
>> <jmfbahciv at aol.com> wrote:

>>VMS was too early, and was made too politically correct.
>>
>>TCP/IP was NOT politically correct until around 1996 or so.
>>TPTB wanted OSI, GOSIP/Decnet Phase 5 and all that crud, until we
>>Internet people hammered them.

>>>Sigh!  If CMU had it, I would have assumed it got hornshoed into
>>>VMS.
>>
>>Wrong mindset. TCP/IP was never a DEC invention, much less a D I G I T A L
>>one.
>
>It didn't have to be a DEC invention.  If it was CMU, we got it
>shoved down our throats and up our asses.  However, I see
>that the dates explain why TCP/IP didn't get into VMS.
>Apparently the protocol got good after Gordon Bell left DEC.

1995 was the year everyone and Bill Gates discovered the Internet
existed; and wanted in on the deal. Suddenly everyone needed Internet
solutions.

>Since TCP/IP was in the 90s, I couldn't have heard about it
>over the wall (I think I stopped working in 1987).  I could
>swear that cybercurd meant something.
>
>ISTR, the -20 types yakking about it.

TCP/IP was launched in 1982, and the Internet (or the Arpanet, rather)
converted Jan 1st 1983; with final NCP service turned off everywhere
by mid march 1983.

Tops20 has an IP package; but it was pretty rudimentary in version 4,
and not quite complete even by those standards even in version 7.

.. mrr