Call for suggestions: Declaring data entry forms using Python classes

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Thu Sep 23 15:53:37 EDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:36:19 -0300, Carlos Ribeiro <carribeiro at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I'm posting this to the list with the intention to form a group of
>people interested in this type of solution. I'm not going to spam the
>list with it, unless for occasional and relevant announcements. If
>you're interested, drop me a note. But if for some reason you think
>that this discussion is fine here at the c.l.py, please let me know.

No comment for now other than suggesting replacing pass with def __repr__ in

    class Component(object):
        def __repr__(self): return '<Comp %r>' % type(self).__name__

for a more userfriendly printout. Interesting stuff. I wonder about
one-dimensional position vs composing with various top/left/right/bottom/fill
aggregation indicator info etc.

Also wonder if just plain defining your own python-inspired but not python-constrained
language for expressing what you want to express might not be a viable alternative,
given the nice tools for language processing that are part of the open python kit.

IOW, you are using python in a certain way in order to be able to "spell" your
form-descriptions in a certain way. How would you spell them if you were not
constrained by python syntax?

Regards,
Bengt Richter