wxPython Not Ready for Commercial Use

Cliff Wells clifford.wells at comcast.net
Thu Sep 16 19:14:31 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 09:27 -0700, Polerio Babao Jr.II wrote:
> Please correct me if im wrong. I have depended much on python and
> wxpython gui apps. After a year of using python apps I was able to do
> good application written entirely in python. One big problem came into
> my attention. The printing support. Yes, there was reportlab. But what
> if your client wanted to simulate the customized excel output and have
> it converted to reportlab. you cannot do it 100%. There are so many
> drawbacks which I do not like. I tried to use the xml file of excel
> and modify it on the fly to answer that problem but still not a very
> good solution.
>
> I am targetting crystal report as my ideal reporting application. From
> my experiences I was not able to print a very good output for
> commercial application. If anyone can provide me a very good reporting
> application that can be integrated within python I must say python can
> be used for commercial gui app. If not then we are all correct, python
> is good for training purposes but not for production yet. Please
> excempt reportlab from your choices as I have used it already and was
> not able to simulate excel like output, still you can do it, the very
> difficult way. I am just dissapointed, now I am trying to learn c++/qt
> to solve my gui and printing problem. Please correct me if I am wrong.
> Thanks.

Ah, the old "make an inflammatory statement to goad someone into
answering my question" tactic.

When it comes to automating external applications (Crystal Reports,
Excel) on Windows, there's only a couple of ways to do it, and it has
nothing to do with programming language choice.  COM is the answer and
Python has it.  You can try C++ if you like, but what you'll find is
that you are going to run into exactly the same problem, only it will
take you twice as long to get there.

If you want "Excel-like" output, why not use COM to control Excel?  It's
been several years, but I built an application (using Python, wxPython
and win32com) to do just that.  If what you are looking for is someone
to show you how to do it, why not just pay someone to do it?  Perhaps
it's the programmer, not the language, that isn't ready for
production ;)

Regards,
Cliff

--