Are decorators really that different from metaclasses...

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Thu Sep 2 13:06:53 EDT 2004

"Jeff Shannon" <jeff at ccvcorp.com> wrote in message
news:10jcsuh7k4bfl41 at corp.supernews.com...
> (I'm sure that you'll argue that the presence of those "magic" variables
> is enough distinction between the two radically-different blocks of
> code; I'm also pretty confident that very few people will agree with
> you, and that nobody with a reasonable understanding of Python internals
> will be among those few people.)

It seems to me if the defining distinction is a different assignment
operator rather than magic associated with naming, then much of objections I
am hearing to what Paul is generally suggesting seems to fall away.

I like what Paul Rubin suggested for decorators:

::

It seemed to me that many folks, and certainly including some sophisticated
users - witness the decorator wiki - felt more than comfortable with some
declarative/definitional syntax within the function body.  The discussion
was stalled mostly by the realization that Guido had definitively ruled it
out, not on the basis that there was general concensus that the approach had
no appeal - intuitive and otherwise.

Art