bad data from urllib when run from MS .bat file

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Sep 20 16:20:55 EDT 2004

"Stuart McGraw" <smcg4191 at frii.RimoovThisToReply.com> writes:
> "John J. Lee" <jjl at pobox.com> wrote in message news:87acvmxayq.fsf at pobox.com...
[...]
> > Just a guess
[...]
> Did you try doing that?

No.  It was a guess.

[...]
> That would be surprising to me given that urllib is shipped with the
> Python distribution, I would think that any core libs would be pretty
> bombproof.  (Am I being naive? :-)
[...]

Possibly:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.devel/63911

But I have a fairly strong suspicion that this *isn't* a bug in urllib
or Python: I think urllib regards HTTP response data simply as a
binary string (as opposed to the case of URLs, where things are... uh,
complicated).

*I'm* certainly more naive about encodings, character sets &c. than
any Python module, though <wink>...

> Of course, still possible I hosed

Yes, that's possible :-)

John