Python binaries for Solaris, HP-UX

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Tue Sep 21 09:20:02 EDT 2004

Mathias Waack <M.Waack at gmx.de> writes:

> Paul Moore wrote:
>
> > Ah! That's the thing I needed. Thanks for your patience - I'll go
> > and try it out.
>
> Please let us know if it works. I've installed only very small
> packages like libxml this way. Would be interesting for other people
> with the same problem...
>
> Mathias

I've done this for python installs on Solaris, AIX, and IRIX.

1. Build up the system on a master box, complete with add-ons in
site-packages.  Can do this in any dirroot, but lets assume
/usr/local.

2. Part of the buildup is to make a shell script /usr/local/bin/py23:

  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
  /usr/local/bin/python2.3 "$@"

3. Make a tar file with

  cd /
  gtar zcvf /usr/local/src/python/py23.tgz \
  /usr/local/include/python2.3 \
  /usr/local/lib/python2.3 \
  /usr/local/bin/py23 \
  /usr/local/bin/python2.3 \
  /usr/local/bin/pychecker \
  /usr/local/bin/pydoc \
  (etc.)

If you have additional required lib or share entries (e.g., for GTK),
add those to the tarball.

4. Untar this in a /usr/local on another box.  Set the PATH to
include /usr/local/bin.   Use it by entering "py23".

5. CAVEAT: This assumes the cloned box has all the needed dynamic
   libraries as the original box.  May have to experiment before you
   get all the dependencies into your tarball.

harry.g.george at boeing.com
6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering
Phone: (425) 342-0007