MAC address

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Sep 20 07:33:51 EDT 2004

Ajay wrote:
> Quoting Heiko Wundram <heikowu at ceosg.de>:

[...changing MAC address under Linux ...]>

> thanks
> its actually windows that i would like to find out about.
> what i am trying to do is to anonymize client address by picking a random
> MAC address and using that instead

You do understand, I presume, that your MAC address never travels off
your LAN anyway? When packets are routed to other networks they will be
encapsulated by other devices, so while the IP (network-layer)
addressing remains the same over all hops, the originating device's MAC
address is removed the first time the packet is routed.

regards
  Steve