WxInter

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 14 20:05:05 EDT 2004

Brian Elmegaard wrote:
> Eric Brunel <eric_brunel at despammed.com> writes:
>>quite far from it: I didn't see any means to move canvas items
>>individually, or group them with tags, or knowing which items are at a
>>given position, all things a tk canvas can do very easily...
>
> You can. Have a look at pySketch which comes with wx as one of the
> sample apps.

Well, pySketch does a lot of that, but it wasn't easy, and I don't thin
the code was written in a way that it would be easy to just use it in
your own app.

>>canvas item is just a bunch of points. In tk, it remains a whole item
>>which can be manipulated as a whole. Basically, in tk, canvases are
>>for vector drawing; in other toolkits, they're more for bitmap
>>drawing. And this makes quite a difference...

Check out my FloatCanvas for wxPython:

http://home.comcast.net/~chrishbarker/FloatCanvas/

It's also in the wxPython lib and demo in recent versions.

Sorry I don't have a nifty page describing it, but there is a demo that
comes with it. It does do most of what that TK canvas does, with a few
exceptions:

1) no tags, but you can put a bunch of FloatCanvas DrawObjects in a
list, and manipulate them that way. I really haven't seen that tags are
that useful, but if you think so, I'll accept a patch.

2) As the name implies, it works with arbitrary floating point
coordinates, scaling them to pixels for you. It then provides full
zooming and scrolling. I like this, as I use it to draw data, which is
never in pixel coords to begin with.

3) It provides a simple flat-earth projection for map data.

4) the event binding is different, perhaps a little more complex, but
also quite powerful. Here's a version of most of your example. wxPython
requires a bit more overhead in terms of creating Frame objects, etc,
but you'd do that anyway in any but a trivial app:

#!/usr/bin/env python2.3

import wx
import fixdc

from wx.lib.floatcanvas import NavCanvas, FloatCanvas

class DrawFrame(wx.Frame):

     """
     A frame used for the FloatCanvas Demo

     """

     def __init__(self,parent, id,title,position,size):
         wx.Frame.__init__(self,parent, id,title,position, size)

         # Add the Canvas
         Canvas = NavCanvas.NavCanvas(self,-1,(500,500),
                                           ProjectionFun = None,
                                           Debug = 0,
                                           BackgroundColor = "DARK SLATE
BLUE",
                                           )

         self.Canvas = Canvas

         self.circle1 = Canvas.AddCircle(10, 10, 20, FillColor='red')

         # Event binding on a single item
         self.circle1.Bind(FloatCanvas.EVT_FC_LEFT_DOWN, self.bindingA)
         # or to the right button:
         self.circle1.Bind(FloatCanvas.EVT_FC_RIGHT_DOWN, self.bindingB)

         ## A group of objects in a list:
         self.ObjectsList = []
         self.ObjectsList.append(Canvas.AddRectangle(30, 30, 30, 20,
FillColor = "Blue"))

self.ObjectsList.append(Canvas.AddPolygon(((70,40),(80,60),(90,70),(65,80)),
                                                  FillColor = "Purple"))

         self.BindAll()

         self.Show(True)
         self.Canvas.ZoomToBB()

         return None

     def BindAll(self):
         for object in self.ObjectsList:
             object.Bind(FloatCanvas.EVT_FC_LEFT_DOWN, self.bindingC)

     def bindingA(self, event):
         print "I'm circle1!"

     def bindingB(self, event):
         print "I'm circle1 with the right button!"

     def bindingC(self, event):
         print "I'm an object in the list!"

app = wx.PySimpleApp()
DrawFrame(None, -1, "FloatCanvas Demo App", wx.DefaultPosition, (700,700) )
app.MainLoop()

Be sure to let me know if you' re using it, I may have fixed bugs since
the last release.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov