I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... ;-) (was Re: age of Python programmers)

Christopher T King squirrel at WPI.EDU
Wed Sep 1 22:23:40 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Christopher Koppler wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:54:41 -0400, Christopher T King wrote:
>
> > If you want a story though, I interned at a Windows shop these past two
> > summers, where all their programming was done in VB embedded in Word
> > documents, or in a third-party supplied castrated version of VB (on the PC
>
> That didn't just happen to be (expletive deleted) SAX Basic?

Nope.  It was a scripting language for a suite of (better left nameless)
database software.  It was basically VB without all the constructs
Microsoft added to make it usable (the Array() function comes to mind).
To top it off, the applications' COM interfaces were horrible (similar
programs had wildly different APIs, both 0- and 1-based indexing were
arbitrarily used, things that worked in the application didn't work in
COM, etc.).