Problems getting Python client (SOAPpy) to consume .NET web services

Michael Hatmaker mhatmaker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 18:45:01 EDT 2004

I have begun experimenting with web services, and I created some
simple web services in C# and was able to install them with IIS and
create an equally simple C# client to consume them.

My next experiment was to use Python to consume these same web
services, and even though I am able to get Python to consume web
services from a variety of sources (Apache SOAP, Glue, AXIS), I cannot
get web services created with MS.NET to work. Actually, methods with
no arguments work fine, but any methods that take arguments do not
work. There is no error, it is simply that an incorrect result is
returned (i.e. my simple Add(int a, int b) web service always returns
zero).

I tried playing around with the
[SoapDocumentService(Use=SoapBindingUse.Literal,
ParameterStyle=SoapParameterStyle.Wrapped)] arguments in .NET, but I
have had no success as of yet. I don't think it's just me since I
cannot consume any of the web services on webmethods.net that are
created using MS.NET.

My Python code looks something like this:

from SOAPpy import WSDL
server = WSDL.Proxy('http://localhost/MyWebServices/FirstService.asmx?WSDL')
server.SayHello()    # works correctly - just prints a hello message
server.Add(3, 4)     # does not work - returns zero

Any tip that would point me in the right direction would be greatly
appreciated!