Question: tools for business apps development

Ksenia Marasanova ksenia at ksenia.nl
Wed Sep 8 10:32:14 EDT 2004

>> One of possibilities is to use Flash (in a browser) for GUI. I am
>> thinking about using it for some project that also needs more
>> interactivity: Flash for frontend, Python for backend (Web service
>> using XMLRPC).
>> You can use Flash IDE for fast GUI builing, and code the flow of your
>> GUI in Action Script files, using your favorite editor.
>> The sad part of this approach is that you can't program everything in
>> Python. The nice part is the maintainability (no install,
>> automatically download of the latest version).
>> But these are my thoughts... I wonder what people say who actually
>> did it :)
>> Ksenia.
>
> It's actually a very effective solution, in my experience. You get a
> cross-platform, very smart client talking to the server of your
> choice. When I used this approach (pre-Python-discovery) I wrote the
> server in Java and all messages were exchanged as XML. Now I would
> make the same choice as you: Python server using XML-RPC.

Good to hear that :)
I was thinking about that 'very smart client'... actually, I want the
Flash client to be 'as dumb as possible' :) In the terms of
Model-View-Controller, wouldn't it be even better to have only 'View'
in Flash? The 'Controller' can then be on the server, in Python,
comunicating with Flash client in...XUL? ;-) It will be basically the
same as generating HTML for the browser... but with richer widgets.

Googled from curiosity:
http://zulu.netspedition.com/zulu/main/overview.shtml

Hmm...

Ksenia.