multiple instance on Unix

Jeremy Jones zanesdad at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 29 14:23:22 EDT 2004

Batista, Facundo wrote:

> #- If so, you could do something like this:
> #-
> #- import time
> #- import os
> #- waiting_for_lock = 1
> #-
> #- while waiting_for_lock:
> #-     try:
> #-         os.mkdir('/tmp/foo')
> #-         waiting_for_lock = 0
> #-     except OSError:
> #-         print "could not create directory"
> #-         time.sleep(1)
> #- #do whatever you need one and only one process to do...
>
> If you don't have the permissions to write in /tmp this will fail.
>
> .       Facundo

Actually, it won't.  It'll keep spinning and spinning and will never
acquire the lock.  You won't have _any_ processes stepping on each other :-)

Of course, you are correct.  This was just a simple piece of example
code.  I left it to the OP to figure out what directory he can and can't
write in and adjust accordingly - if he even desired to use this example
at all.....

Jeremy Jones