Lager'd Statistics on language migration

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 14:45:40 EDT 2004

On 2004 Sep 06, at 20:27, Carlos Ribeiro wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:40:44 +0200, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> Can you point out some specific behavior, some language-design choice,
>> where Ruby is farther away from Perl than Python is?
>
> Ok, I deserve it :-) Short answer -- I think Ruby's object-oriented
> structure is closer to Python's than Perl's. I don't know many

Agreed, but while this may meen dist(Ruby,Python)<distr(Ruby,Perl) in
some sense, it definitely has no implications re your thesis that
dist(Ruby,Perl)>dist(Python,Perl).

> all. So in this sense I think Ruby is closer to Python than it is to
> Perl.
>
> I hope it sounded convincing ;-)

Sure, and I wouldn't argue either pro or con THIS thesis, but what you
originally stated was different: you were comparing distances of the
other two languages from Perl, not of the other two from Ruby!

Alex