Ideas on self updating software?

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 09:29:30 EDT 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:38:08 -0500, Jaime Wyant <programmer.py at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone give me some pointers on writing "self-updating" python
> programs?  I have an application that is almost ready for beta
> testing.  I want to be able to fix any bugs and push the updates out.

Plase don't. Or -- if you do -- warn your users. Even if this is done
inside a company under your full control, it's a good idea. If, at
last, you decide that you must do it automatically, do it only at some
specific times -- for example, at bootup or when the program is first
loaded everyday. But don't 'push' it automatically. Be really careful,
because many people don't like the idea of automatic software updates,
independent of how good the intentions are.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com