What about an EXPLICIT naming scheme for built-ins?

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 11:05:38 EDT 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 00:15:41 +1000, Andrew Durdin <adurdin at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, I think it'd be hard to make an iterator implementation of
> sorted() without either copying the sequence or resorting to O(n^2)
> performance, which is not good.
> This may just be an example where inconsistency is a practical necessity.

You may be right. At the least, this reasoning could possibly be
included in the FAQ, as it will probably turn out to be a frequent
question in the near future. But having sorted() to return a iterator
still sounds like a logical thing to do, so I'm not sure about it.

So we now have a different question -- does it make sense to have
sort() to return a iterator? What would be the advantages, and what
does it take to implement it?

Today, sorted() returns a brand new sorted sequence. So it already
takes the full memory and time penalty while doing so. However, **if
sorted() was implemented as a generator**, it would have some
advantage in special cases:

-- sorting long sequences to use only a few of the first elements. For
example, if you need to sort a long list to get the top 10 elements. A
generator would yield only those elements, saving a lot of time that
would go into sorting everything else.

-- overall responsiveness in applications where sort is frequently
called. Instead of waiting for the full sort at each sorted() call,
the running time of the sorting method would be divided between the
calls to the generator. Interactive and multithreaded applications can
benefit of this approach (I'm not sure if sorted() grabs the GIL or
not, but if it does, then it's definitely something to look at). (but
then, again, it may be a poor design choice to use sorted() in these
scenarios -- a heap or some other similar structure would be better
suited. But I digress here).

Modifying the sorting algorithm to work as a generator is not as hard
as it seems. For example, Quicksort can be easily adapted. It's just a
matter to yield the results as soon as the "left" partition is sorted.
Actually, a similar technique can be used to yield the reversed sort
(which is not the same as reversed(), incidentally). Other sorting
algorithms can also be adapted.

p.s. I opted to send a copy of this answer to the list, I think it's
good for the discussion. I hope you don't mind.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com