Python Webstart ?

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Tue Sep 21 00:12:08 EDT 2004

Andrew Dalke wrote:
> You probably use more programs than those on your desktop.
> You can think of Google, Yahoo, eBay, etc. as web-based
> applications for their specific tasks.  These differ from
> your OS in that they have no local installation.  You go
> to the right URL and start using it.
>
> They also differ in that they have limited access to local
> resources.  I believe WebStart's goal is to expand on the
> latter while acting like the former.

Very good points.  I have no issue with the *goals* of webstart,
just the current implementation.  And I would have the same
issue with something targeted at Python.  It is important
that a parallel packaging system is not introduced.

Effectively the packaging systems are zero install (ie a
bookmark/link you can use in any browser) or the system
native one.  A hybrid of the two gives you the worst of
both worlds.

The test I use is:  how do I remove the program?

Roger