Open Education in Python

Gabriel Cooper gabriel.cooper at mediapulse.com
Mon Sep 27 17:11:46 EDT 2004

Maboroshi wrote:

> Hi I was interested in starting an online open education center
> focusing on the Python language. This center would consist of
> beginning to advanced computer science courses using the programming
> language Python its primary goal would be to create a community of
> students and teachers who actively discuss in newsgroups write
> articles give online lectures and more.
>
> How it would work: It would work on a what you put into the community
> is what you get out of it bases. No money would be collected
>
> This has not been entirely thought out as I am just putting the
> feelers out and want to see what the python community thinks about it.

Let me know if this happens, it sounds very cool. It could work quite
well, considering that those who go through the lower courses would then
be able to teach them/moderate them or their help boards. You could even
work out some kind of round-robin system among the students where those
that sign up to take a course volunteer to be the primary contact for
discussions/help/Q&A/etc for a day. It would help them stay motivated
(since generally motivation comes from not wanting to lose $$ or the
knowledge that a grade later counts towards something, and since neither
exist, some users might need that small bit of help to stay on-task) and
provide for a self-sustaining base for discussion and homework help.

Gabriel.