Fixed: pyMinGW patched Python compiles in MinGW & passes regrtests

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Sep 26 12:05:44 EDT 2004

A. B., Khalid wrote:

> Paul Moore <pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<ufz5clka2.fsf at yahoo.co.uk>...
>
>>abkhd at earth.co.jp (A. B., Khalid) writes:
>>

>>>This is to inform those interested in getting Python to compile in
>>>MinGW that the pyMinGW patch is now able to help compile both Python
>>>2.3.4 Final and Python 2.4a3 and the resulting MinGW Python passes the
>>>regrtests as follows.
>>
>>Cool! It would be nice if this could be made into a patch to core
>>python, so that the main sources support a mingw build.
>>
>>Paul.
>

> Hello Paul. Sorry for the delay.
>
> Yes, it would be, wouldn't it? If you were addressing me there, as
> opposed to the general audience of c.l.py or the core-developers of
> Python, then allow me to say that in principal I have no problem with
> pyMinGW making it to Python's core, provided of course that a
> copyright notice appears somewhere (at least in the makefiles). This I
> think would not be a problem. After all, and from what I have seen of
> Python's source, there is a good habit of including copyright notices
> of contributing authors to Python in the works they authored.
>
> I must confess that aside from me being totally unfamiliar with the
> process of officially patching Python, the major hurdle appears to me,
> in addition to that, in whether the patch was tested enough, or by
> enough people, so as to earn itself a place in the core- that of
> course if it will be allowed a place there to start with. Have you
> tried it out? Please do if you still didn't have the chance.
>
> I might be mistaken, but I think that testing should come first. After
> all there is nothing urgent here, or is there? When people find that
> it really works, they will call for it to be included in Python's
> source. In the meantime, pyMinGW is there for those who need it, and
> being a third-party patch should not be a reason to scare people away
> from using it, especially since it gets the job done. With that said,
> I am open to any thoughts on this from your esteemed person or from
> anyone else.

I believe that contributors to the core are nowadays (or will shortly be
expected to) assign the right to the PSF to use the material. I believe
this is done in such a way as to allow the contributor to retain the
rights to do whatever they like with the code also, but you should
familiarize yourself with the current state of play.

http://www.python.org/psf/psf-contributor-agreement.html is, alas, an
out-of-date draft, but there's probably more recent documentation
available. python-dev is probably the place to go for authoritative
comment on this matter.

regards
  Steve