up with PyGUI!

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Wed Sep 15 16:25:31 EDT 2004

aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli) writes:

>> I really would like a lot if it was possible to write
>> non-GPL code with Qt (not that I'm against GPL software, but some
>
> It's perfectly possible: Trolltech, the authors of Qt, will be extremely
> happy to sell you a commercial license of Qt so you can develop and sell
> your code as closed-source or whatever.

Then I'd have to buy something like PyQT, and then I'd have to buy
something like ... :-)

I like the widgets, and the visual, but I can't afford buying a whole
toolchain for using it.  So, I use the tools that are free, that allow
the commercial use, and when it is not possible, I let the client choose
paying for something commercial that he will keep after the project
delivery (after all, he paid for that) or writing free software (free
software was their choice 75% of the time, this is another reason I
wouldn't invest on buying a license of Qt for commercial software...).

> Me too (well, not Photoshop, actually -- if I had to process images I
> think I'd use GIMP instead), so I use them on my Mac iBook 12" laptop
> (whose operating system's guts aren't all that far from FreeBSD --
> there's some Mach microkernel involved, but it's very unlikely that
> could possibly be a problem -- those guts are all opensource, too, under
> the name of 'Darwin').

Indeed.  Macs are cool, but expensive.  Our salaries here in .br are not
like your in the US or Europe...  :-)

--
Godoy.     <godoy at ieee.org>