Determining if a client PC has an Internet connection

Cliff Wells clifford.wells at comcast.net
Sun Sep 19 16:51:27 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 15:40 +0000, Andrew Dalke wrote:
> Stuart McGraw wrote:
> > I'm not sure this is 100% reliable either.  I have several PCs on a home
> > network with a Linux box running a local caching DNS server that is the
> > primary (and sole) DNS server for the Windoze boxes..  That server is
> > always reachable even when my modem internet connection is down.

I'm not terribly concerned with this scenario for a couple of reasons:

1. This is a very atypical setup for the average home user
2. If you're running your own DNS server, you can probably figure it out
for yourself.

> And speaking of that case, the OP should add support (at least when
> not on MS Windows) for the user to specify on-line/off-line.

It does have this =)  The idea here is that the user could download all
their RSS feeds to their laptop and then read the news on the road.

> I wasn't doing anything.

Ah, that's what all users say ;)

Regards,
Cliff