launching JCL on MVS

Chris chrisNOSPAM at spam.com
Mon Sep 27 04:06:16 EDT 2004

Thanks for the help!

Here is what worked:
ftp.voidcmd( "site file=JES" )
"quote" is already done by ftplib

ftp.retrlines( "RETR 'PATH.ON.HOST(JCLNAME)'")
GET is an unknown command, althought it's what works in FTP command line...

Chris

"Jaime Wyant" <programmer.py at gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
mailman.3236.1095084343.5135.python-list at python.org...
The code i showed you submitted a job to the mainframe via ftp.  The
catch was the JCL had to be in the CWD.  I'm not sure how to submit a
job that is *already* on the mainframe...

A google pointed me here:

http://www.wright.edu/cats/docs/docroom/mainframe/mvsftp.htm

According to this document you:

1) create the JCL on the mainframe
2) issue this site command -> "SITE FILETYPE=JES"
    Using ftplib's FTP object, that would be:
        ftp.voidcmd( "quote site file=JES" )

3) issue a GET command ->  GET jclfilename outputfilename
    jclfilename is the job to submit.
    outputfilename holds the output of the job.

    I *think* you would use ftplib's retrlines function like so:
        ftp.retrlines( "GET jclfilename", cbfun )

    Where cbfun is a callback function that will receive the output of
the job one line at a time, sans the CR/LF.

hth,
jw