How to actually write a program?

Alexander Hoffmann alexander.hoffmann at netgenius.de
Mon Sep 6 19:39:17 EDT 2004

Hello,

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 01:02, Peter Hansen wrote:
> Neil Benn wrote:
> > Nick Evans wrote:
> >> I have been on and off learning to code ...
> >
> >          It's good that you are thinking of this rather than just trying
> > to manically write some code to see what happens.  As a general point,
> > there is a system that you can use to help you model out your program
> > (taught to most computer science students).  This system is called UML
yes, I know ;-)
> > (Unified Modeling Language) - I would advise getting a good book about
> > UML and reading through that.
>
> Ahhh!!  Run!  Run, Neil, run!  UML!

Please, stay calm ! I recommend you not to run because because UML is nothing
you should fear, but also forget about the UML book FOR THE MOMENT !

Please reflect on your goals. Why do you want to write programs, what are they
meant to be used for in the end ? If you want to write very small programs to
be used like shell scripts on your private Linux box, then never spend your
time with UML, extreme programming, unit tests and all that stuff.
If you plan to write rich featured applications or even deamon processes then
first lean the basic ideas of how to write code. There are lots of tutorials
and books around that help you gain success very quickly. Write some little
apps and watch them doing their job.
When you're done, then take care of how to write bigger programs. Now you
should learn how to design an application, in what parts or modules it should
be implemented and how these modules shall communicate / work together. This
is what you should utilize PARTS of UML for. I strongly recommend you to look
at static structure diagrams, use cases and time line diagrams. The other
parts of UML are only useful in theory, they take much more time to be
created than they will ever save.
Once you are familiar with basic Python programming and with application
design (e.g. UML), then the last step I recommend to become a *nearly* (who
really claims to be completely) perfect developer is to understand the
importance of testing. When you are implementing a real big application you
are lost without it. I am using unit tests and they help me very much. With
these you can test first very small parts of your application and then later
combine the test to cover more and more of the whole program. Indeed there is
no need to argue for unit testing (when writing really big applications): try
it and you will appreciate it !

Regards,
Alex