Python Usage Statistics

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Wed Sep 1 14:29:53 EDT 2004

beliavsky at aol.com wrote:

>anandpillai at letterboxes.org (Anand Pillai) wrote in message news:<bba535b4.0408310322.248af2b0 at posting.google.com>...
>

>>... I thought it would be a good idea to present a number, a
>>round-about figure on the approximate *actual* usage of Python out
>>there in number of developers and/or installations.
>>

>See SkillMarket at http://mshiltonj.com/sm/categories/languages/ .
>Polling jobs listed at dice.com , the # of job openings by language on
>9/1/2004 were (in descending order)

But note that job openings don't necessarily accurately represent
language *usage*, they only represent *unsatisfied demand* for
competency in that language.  One could argue, with some justification,
that there's few job openings requesting programmers familiar with
Python because a good programmer can become productive in Python so
quickly -- why take months to hire a Python guy when an existing
employee can *become* a Python guy in a couple weeks?  It also doesn't
reflect the usage of Python for small projects, incidental scripting
tasks, etc., where there isn't a need for a full-time employee to be
working on that particular project.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International