Question: tools for business apps development

Daniel Ellison daniel at syrinx.net
Wed Sep 8 12:46:57 EDT 2004

Ksenia Marasanova wrote:

> Good to hear that :)
> I was thinking about that 'very smart client'... actually, I want the
> Flash client to be 'as dumb as possible' :) In the terms of
> Model-View-Controller, wouldn't it be even better to have only 'View' in
> Flash? The 'Controller' can then be on the server, in Python,
> comunicating with Flash client in...XUL? ;-) It will be basically the
> same as generating HTML for the browser... but with richer widgets.
>
> Googled from curiosity:
> http://zulu.netspedition.com/zulu/main/overview.shtml
>
> Hmm...
>
> Ksenia.

Yes, that would be best. All business logic would be on the server, and
anything "visual" would be handled by Flash, which would make XML-RPC
method invocations to update on-screen data according to user actions.
This should be pretty easy if one follows MVC properly. There are plenty
of free (and plenty of inexpensive commercial) Flash widget sets
available to make the UI creation easier.

The latest incarnation of Flash also supports SOAP, if that's your bent.
And I mean bent! :)

Dan