MAC address

Ajay abra9823 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Mon Sep 20 21:14:41 EDT 2004

Quoting Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com>:

> On 2004-09-20, Ajay <abra9823 at mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote:
> > Quoting Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com>:

> >> That's a pretty bad idea.  If you insist on doing it, read the
> >> Ethernet spec so you make sure you're picking a valid address.
> >
> > and why is it a bad idea?
>
> How are you going to avoid collisions?  I suppose it's a
> sufficiently slim probability you can just ignore it.
>
> > also, is there an alternative way to anonymize a client?
>
> Not really, but how could your MAC address be traced to you,
> anyway?

i suppose i should clarify again that the question is not in the context of
the Internet but a wireless LAN.
within a LAN, if i were to open a socket connection with a server and send
some data to it, the server would be able to pick up my MAC and IP
address.
so what i want to do is to anonymize the MAC by picking a random (but
valid) MAC address and using that. after that i will anonymize the IP.