class size

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Tue Sep 21 14:30:20 EDT 2004

Brad Tilley wrote:
> How large (lines of code) should a class be before one should
> split it
> into smaller classes? Is there a general rule on this? How many
> functions should a class contain? Are there limits (theoretical or
> practical) that people learning classes should adhere to?

Short answer: no. Quantifying human behavior and understanding isn't
something you should agonize over unless you're a CTO. Just get the job
done. How large should a novel be before one should split it into short
stories? How many chapters should a book contain? Every author (of both
code and novels) will have their own formula--some will share them in
this thread, I'm sure. But the shortest answer is still "no". ;)

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries
fumanchu at amor.org