Why not FP for Money?

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Wed Sep 22 10:51:30 EDT 2004

On 21 Sep 2004 17:11:22 -0700, rumours say that danb_83 at yahoo.com (Dan
Bishop) might have written:

>But what about countries like Japan and (even more so) Turkey where
>the currency units are so small that you never use fractions of them?
>Do programmers there talk less about floating-point error?

This used to be the case in Greece too; however, there was and still is
VAT (amount * 0.08 or 0.18), discounts, distribution of a "gross"[1]
discount ("your invoice is over 200000 drachmae, so I'll give you a
20000 drs discount") over the items of an invoice (and the "gross"
discount should equal the sum of qty*discount_per_item) etc.

So you still have floating point errors...

[1] don't know the english term, could be 'monetary discount', not a
percentage
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
"Tssss!" --Brad Pitt as Achilles in unprecedented Ancient Greek