Secure delete with python

Michael George Lerner mlerner at NO.SPAMumichPLEASE.edu
Wed Sep 8 00:51:45 EDT 2004

Andrew Dalke <adalke at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Ville Vainio wrote:
>> Seriously? What OSen are known for [writing new content at
>  > another location of the disk]? I'd had thought that if
>> the file size is unchanged, the data is always written over the old
>> data...

> It can even be filesystem specific.  Back in the days
> of WORM drives (do people still use those?)

I know that some government agencies were still using them as recently
as a couple of years ago .. there were some regulations that said that
you had to keep undeletable backups of everything.  I think your choice
was basically between a warehouse full of file cabinets and a WORM
drive or two.

-michael