synchronize a block

Richard Hanson me at privacy.net
Mon Sep 27 16:05:17 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Steve Holden wrote:
>
> > One of the best features of c.l.py is how questions phrased in the most
> > ambiguous terms are often slowly elaborated into meaningful enquiries.
>
> Sometimes, and more so lately, *painfully* slowly.  I'm somewhat
> saddened by the waste involved in some of those threads where the
> OP posts a vague question, we all spend days replying with various
> guesses at what was really intended, and then finally the OP
> posts again (and sometimes they don't even do us that courtesy!)
> and says merely "oh, it wasn't that complicated, I just meant X"
> and it turns out to have been a FAQ item anyway. :-(

While I'm in complete agreement with your sentiments above, Peter,
newsgroup dynamics *are* difficult. Speaking for myself, both you and
Steve (and virtually all other respondents) have been *quite* helpful
and friendly to me. But attempting to follow the customs of a group
can be a bit intimidating for some newer posters. While I'm not
intimidated (alas, eh? ;-) ), I've been told by different long-term
posters -- all with the best of intentions, I firmly believe -- that
I've given too *much* information in some cases, as well as too
*little* information in other cases. (And usually, they were correct.
;-) ) I'm fully capable of adjusting up and learning as needed -- and
I most *certainly* don't take any of this personally, in any case.
However, many of the newbies may not fare so well.

Mostly, in this group, people are quite civil and mature -- even in
the face of repeated problems such as you mention above. But that is
not the case universally -- here, or in any other group. Indeed, in
the world at large.

I have no answers, as it were. Likely, we're all going to have to hold
on tight as we careen into this 'Fraid New World, stumbling along,
working things out as we go. :-)

> But then, Steve, you're an optimist and I'm not.  ;-)

;-)

cautiously-pessimistically y'rs,
Richard Hanson

--
sick<PERI0D>old<P0INT>fart<PIE-DEC0-SYMB0L>newsguy<MARK>com