YOU ALL SUCK!

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sat Sep 4 17:02:46 EDT 2004

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 18:35:22 +0100, Robin Becker <robin at SPAMREMOVEjessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Bengt Richter wrote:
>> On 2 Sep 2004 06:17:05 GMT, Eric Bohlman <ebohlman at omsdev.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Amanita, Love Ewe" <ladyamanita at aol.com> wrote in
>>>news:1bf5bcb9.15695836 at aol.com:

>>>This seems to be of somewhat better quality than the output of the typical
>>>random-text generator.  Can anyone suggest something on CPAN useful for
>>>such?
>>

>>         Clearly, the speaker-hearer's linguistic intuition suffices
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bengt Richter
>
>wow! my litle chomsky :)

Did you originate that? I found it somewhere in lisp, but there was no author identified.
It starts:
________

;;; -*- Mode: LISP; Syntax: Common-lisp; Base: 10. -*-

(defvar *line-length* 72.)

(defvar *chomsky-help*
        "CHOMSKY is an aid to writing linguistic papers in the style
    of the great master.  It is based on selected phrases taken
    from actual books and articles written by Noam Chomsky.
    Upon request, it assembles the phrases in the elegant
    stylistic patterns that Chomsky is noted for.
    To generate n sentences of linguistic wisdom, type
        (CHOMSKY n)  -- for example
        (CHOMSKY 5) generates half a screen of linguistic truth.")
________

I was doing a little perl at the time, so I took the source verbatim and prefixed perl
code ending in __END__ on that, so I could use DATA to get at the strings in the lisp
mainly, and then sort of duplicate the processing logic in perl. The above was an output
I just ran. My perl of this dates to Aug 99, so it's not as easy to read as if I had
written it in Python ;-) Unfortunately,

Are you the original author? There must be a nostalgia story around this ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter