Carriage Return Problem with Python on Windows

Canes_Rock hinnc at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 15:55:07 EDT 2004

The information posted at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=slrnarv28n.e4j.TuxTrax%40fortress.tuxnet&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dsuppress%2Bcarriage%2Breturn%2Bgroup:comp.lang.python.*%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Dcomp.lang.python.*%26selm%3Dslrnarv28n.e4j.TuxTrax%2540fortress.tuxnet%26rnum%3D1

seemed to provide a solution to eliminating the line feed and causing
a carriage return for the text displayed in the IDLE window, (I want
to be able to overwrite displayed text - that is, eliminating the line
feed from occuring and causing a carriage return).

The comma at the end of the print command appeared to have eliminated
the line feed, (\n), but the carriage return, (\r) does not work.  For
example, (logic borrowed from previously referenced thread):

for i in range(10) : print '\r' + `i`,

This produces a small square box before each number, (sorry - can't
duplicate the small square box here in this posting but if you were to
substitute X for box the output would look like this):

X1 X2 X3 X4 X5 X6 X7 X8 X9

as you can see the line feed has been eliminated but the carriage
return is not functioning as I would expect, (yes - its always about
me isn't it?).

I also tried a variation using sys.stdout.write and sys.stdout.flush
but the root cause is the issue with the carriage return.

Am I screwed or is there a way around this?  I am running Windows XP
Home Edition using Python version 2.3.3 and IDLE version 1.0.2

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks...