Lager'd Statistics on language migration

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 11:40:44 EDT 2004

On 2004 Sep 06, at 16:33, Carlos Ribeiro wrote:

> As for Ruby, it's a different matter. I think that Ruby is a little
> farther away from Perl in the language spectrum than Python, but I
> have no hard data to back my claim. It's just how I feel about it, and

I think that Ruby has so many things in common with Perl -- mutable
strings, regular expressions as built-ins rather than a module you need
to import, even variable names which can be control characters...! --
that I'd definitely have to consider it far closer to Perl than Python
is.

Can you point out some specific behavior, some language-design choice,
where Ruby is farther away from Perl than Python is?

Alex