Are decorators really that different from metaclasses...

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 08:31:07 EDT 2004

As for the actual idea, I don't like it. Jeff Shannon put it our
perfectly -- it violates the "law of the least surprise". Just as a
comparison, imagine the following scenario: a common naming convention
is to use full uppercase names for constants. Of course, there are no
real constants in Python, so we know its just a naming convention.
What if the grammar was changed to turn uppercase names into real
constants? Many of the arguments used in this discussion apply here as
well. It's easy to see that it's not a good idea.

p.s. As for the discussion itself...

[Paul Morrow]
> [Anthony Baxter]
> > I stand by my earlier comments that this is all just hand-waving and
> > fluff. There's been little concrete effort by Paul to actually spell
> > out his proposal.
>
> I thought that you were done with this thread.  You probably should be
> as you obviously can't follow what we're talking about here.  Most of
> the others seem to.  They don't agree with me, that's clear.  But they
> do appear to understand what I am proposing.

You have to bear in mind that your proposal is not the first such idea
to pop up in existence in this mailing list over the years. And most
of the time, the idea is beaten up to death, exhausting everyone in
the process, until one of the sides just gets too tired to keep
fighting. In some cases, the idea may come up as a winner, but is the
cost really worth it?

--
Carlos Ribeiro
http://pythonnotes.blogspot.com