theme of the week: tools

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 20:08:20 EDT 2004

Carlos Ribeiro wrote:

> I'm using PythonWin for testing, mostly because the Windows console is
> so braindead, and because PythonWin help is quick well organized (it's
> about the same that you find in the web, but a little bit more
> convenient).

<blatant plug>

You may want to try ipython (http://ipython.scipy.org).  It gives you under
Windows (or linux, or OSX) colored tracebacks, tab-completion, directory
management, integrated pdb loading on uncaught exceptions, profiler support,
and quite a bit more.

I don't use windows, but under linux my development setup is Xemacs+ a terminal
with ipython running.  Thanks to ctypes and UNCreadline, you get exactly the
same functionality under windows (along with your editor of choice).  I
honestly find it to be a _very_ efficient setup.

</plug>

Cheers,