Fixed: pyMinGW patched Python compiles in MinGW & passes regrtests

A. B., Khalid abkhd at earth.co.jp
Wed Sep 22 18:15:55 EDT 2004

Paul Moore <pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<ufz5clka2.fsf at yahoo.co.uk>...
> abkhd at earth.co.jp (A. B., Khalid) writes:
>
> > This is to inform those interested in getting Python to compile in
> > MinGW that the pyMinGW patch is now able to help compile both Python
> > 2.3.4 Final and Python 2.4a3 and the resulting MinGW Python passes the
> > regrtests as follows.
>
> Cool! It would be nice if this could be made into a patch to core
> python, so that the main sources support a mingw build.
>
> Paul.

Hello Paul. Sorry for the delay.

Yes, it would be, wouldn't it? If you were addressing me there, as
opposed to the general audience of c.l.py or the core-developers of
Python, then allow me to say that in principal I have no problem with
pyMinGW making it to Python's core, provided of course that a
copyright notice appears somewhere (at least in the makefiles). This I
think would not be a problem. After all, and from what I have seen of
Python's source, there is a good habit of including copyright notices
of contributing authors to Python in the works they authored.

I must confess that aside from me being totally unfamiliar with the
process of officially patching Python, the major hurdle appears to me,
in addition to that, in whether the patch was tested enough, or by
enough people, so as to earn itself a place in the core- that of
course if it will be allowed a place there to start with. Have you
tried it out? Please do if you still didn't have the chance.

I might be mistaken, but I think that testing should come first. After
all there is nothing urgent here, or is there? When people find that
it really works, they will call for it to be included in Python's
source. In the meantime, pyMinGW is there for those who need it, and
being a third-party patch should not be a reason to scare people away
from using it, especially since it gets the job done. With that said,
I am open to any thoughts on this from your esteemed person or from
anyone else.

Best regards
Khalid