Xah Lee's Unixism

Joe Pfeiffer pfeiffer at cs.nmsu.edu
Sat Sep 4 15:25:41 EDT 2004

> "Rupert Pigott" <roo at try-removing-this.darkboong.demon.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:1094285694.404322 at teapot.planet.gong...
>
> > Consider this : If the tables were turned and an Aerojet booster
> > exploded in the sky I'll bet the armchair QBs would be asking why
> > were Aerojet chosen over Morton-Thiokol who had more experience of
> > building large solid-fuel rockets.

However, it would certainly not have failed at the segment joints.

The more I read sci.space.tech the more convinced I am that the whole
shuttle concept was fundamentally flawed from the beginning.  Putting
the orbiter next to (rather than on top of) the huge tank of high
explosive is not a  good idea.  Reentry from orbit is not the same as
flying an airplane; ablative heat shields work and work well.
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002