Greenlets: where are they now???

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Sep 13 08:15:02 EDT 2004

"David Pokorny" <davebrok at soda.csua.berkeley.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> A few weeks ago, I discovered Armin Rigo's greenlets and thought they were
> brilliant. I'm seriously thinking about using them, and at least someone
> else is
>
> http://www.eby-sarna.com/pipermail/peak/2004-August/001720.html
>
> Currently, I understand that Greenlets are more-or-less hidden from the
> public eye in the Stackless CVS, even though they compile and work like a
> charm with regular CPython. Given all the desire for full coroutines that I
> hear on Python-dev, greenlets strike me as genuine "hidden treasure." Here
> is my point:
>
> A) Why aren't greenlets being considered as a solution to coroutines? (Do
> people feel that "hacking the C stack is bad" is a compelling argument? It
> strikes me that any coroutine implementation in CPython will have to do
> this.)

I think the answer to your parenthetical question is "yes".

> B) Will a later version of CPython support greenlets natively? (in
> particular by adding the appropriate entries to PyThreadState)

Pass.

"It is tough to make predictions, especially about the future."
         -- Yogi Berra

> C) Will greenlets ever be released? Is there a ToDo list that prevents their
> release?

I think lack of tuits is the main thing.  I don't know if there are
obscure bugs or something like that.

> D) How did he come up with a cool name like "Greenlet"?

Like Peter said, I presume it's a play on "green threads".

I'm fairly sure that (a) the only person who can really answer your
questions is Armin himself and (b) Armin doesn't read
comp.lang.python.  I'll try to catch him on IRC and point him here,
but you might want to email him yourself...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  <spiv> As far as I'm concerned, the meat pie is the ultimate unit
         of currency.                           -- from Twisted.Quotes